From:
Richard Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:06:39 -0800
On Wed, 25 Jan 1995, Franklin J Headley wrote:

> No, in fact it is not the case that Gingrich fired the house historian
> because she merely wanted to bring in a second opinion. Instead, she was
interested in promoting a particular political agenda which privileged
the racist ideology of Nazis and KKK members.

Can you verify that she in fact was interested in "privileging" these
opinions?  Friends in history circles say that her comments were taken
out of context, that she actually was participating in a textbook review
project where a goal was to provide a "balance" of opinions, and she was
making a point that it is indeed impossible to balance _all_ opinions and
created a _rhetorical_ point using the undesirables of the Nazis and the KKK.
While I have no tolerance for the content of these hate messages and am
entirely opposed to the agenda of Gingrich and his fellow-travelers, I am
certainly open to the idea that she might have been savaged unfairly.
Inform me, please.

Richard Perry
UC San Diego