Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 15:53:47 EST
I am running out of file cabinet space for accession files in my office.
These files contain deeds of gift, collection receipts, some research on
objects in the donation, etc.  The earlier the donation the less there is
in the file.  Sometimes no deed, sometimes just a handwritten note that
copies what was in the accession ledger.

My question is, what have other institutions done in this situation?
Have you microfilmed/microfiched the file contents?  And then archived
the paper?  Have you requested bigger offices?  Have you divided the
records up between rooms?  Are some of them off-site?  Is it worth
microfiche-ing notes that basically are not in any way legal documents?
Is microfiche-ing a totally obsolete technology and I should be scanning
or?

I DO NOT intend to get rid of the files.  Our library holds our
institution's archives so I can archive the files and still have access
to them.  I want to cut down on the amount of space these files take if
possible.  I also would note in our computerized records what existed in
the paper files and where it is.

Thanks.

Marsha Matthews

Director/Museum Collections         Oregon Historical Society

1200 SW Park Ave.                            Portland OR  97205

Internet: [log in to unmask]           Telephone: 503/306-5274

FAX: 503/221-2035