From:
Dave Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 1994 07:56:23 -0500
I would like to add my "two-cents" worth into this discussion of Mummies
& Politics.

If I remember correctly this was originally an inquiry as to how best
exhibit and preserve a mummy.

It seems to me that the preservation ethic in this was all too easily
dropped and graveyard politics emerged.

The mummy has obviously been long removed from its orignal environment
and the issue here isn't removal, it isn't reinterment, it isn't scientific
study, it is straightforward preservation.

One of the great ethical issues facing conservators and curators today is
the care of objects, including mummies & skeletons, which may not have
been scientifically or ethically removed, but they must be cared for.
Most of the ancient objects in our cultural institutions were once
"looted" and many objects in the art market have just that provenance.
Should we do less for those objects then others because of their
unfortunate histories.

I would say that this is especially true when one is presented with the
topic of human remains. Once the remains have been removed (and that may
have taken place 100 years ago) they should be preserved - both for
scientific study and for simple respect.

I have absolutely no quarrel with the rights of Native Americans. Native
Americans have a right to expect that their ancestors be
treated with respect and be returned to their tribes for reinternment.
The fact is that the Egypitians exhibit mummies in the Cario musuem and
they have a different perspective on their ancestors & culture as do us all.

I just find it very interesting that an inquiry about preservation and
care of a mummy has evoked emotional political comment within this group.
People have very strong feeling and opinions about the ethics of the dead
and that is a good thing. But I think that this discussion must primarily
take place with archaeologist & excavators - not with someone who wants
to do the right thing for a mummy in their collection.

Dave Harvey

=:|\Pinnacle Online                    - Open and dynamic Internet services:=
=:|_/||\ ||\ |   |\.| __  |       Voice: 804/498.3889  email: [log in to unmask]:=
=:|  || \|| \| o | \| \_ .|        Data: 804/498.9762  login: guest or new :=