From:
Helen Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 11:42:18 -0400
Having recently completed one of the Smithsonian Institution's
Fellowships in Museum Practice, which is targeted for mid-career people
at small institutions, I can say that the experience was very valuable to
me on a number of levels.  There is a real need for more programs aimed
at people who are neither entry level nor senior scholars.  Since paid
vs. unpaid is on all our minds lately, I don't mind saying that the $4000
stipend that came with the fellowship made it possible for me to justify
the time, travel expenses, and juggling of child care arrangements
necessary to pull this project off.  The other factor which was important
in my case was that I do live within a reasonable commuting distance of
Washington, DC (1 hr. 15 min.).  Like many mid-career people, I have
young children at home and a working spouse, and so I can't even consider
opportunities which require extended residencies out of town.

The fellowship is structured so that you work under the supervision of a
Smithsonian sponsor on a project that you design, and your sponsor helps
you shape the project and facilitates the cooperation of other staff.
That mentoring relationship was fundamental to the success of my project
and was the most rewarding aspect of it. (Zahava Doering, take a bow.)
One-person bands at small institutions, like me, often don't get that,
and being a woman, it's even harder to find mentoring.  Programs that
facilitate that kind of interaction will have the most profound impact on
professional development.

If you have more detailed questions for me Joy, feel free to contact me.
For anyone who wants more information about the fellowship in museum
practice, call Nancy Fuller at (202)357-3101.

--Helen Glazer, Exhibitions Director
Goucher College, 1021 Dulaney Valley Road, Baltimore, MD 21204 USA
(410) 337-6073  fax: 337-6405