From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:01:31 -0500
You can also look in books of fashion illustrations of the time, they were usually tinted by the publishers to give some ideas of colors.

Most colors were available, prints would give an idea about popularity at a certain time. 1840's-50's is a very vague range with vastly changing styles, so it all depends on the dating of the picture.

Sometimes ebay is a good place to look at illustrations. People selling prints put the pictures up. just do a search for fashion prints or fashion print.