From:
Mariko Iida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:01:42 GMT
The follwing is what happened to one of my colleagues and I would like to
share it with everyone in the U.S.  We should all be careful with this kind
of scam.

Mariko

-------------------quote------------------
I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying
himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on the
telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine
(9), zero (0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.

Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone
company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting
individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place
long distance calls billed to your home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local
jails/prisons. I have also verified this information with UCB Telecom,
Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please beware.

DO NOT press 90# for anyone.

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with
everyone I know. Please pass this on to everyone you know. If you have
mailing lists and/or newsletters from organizations you are connected with,
I encourage you to pass on this information to them too.