From:
"Wiener, Wendy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:59:26 -0400
As part of the bicentennial commemoration of George Washington's death,
the Octagon, the Museum of the American Architectural Foundation, is
collaborating with Mount Vernon Ladies Association to organize an
exhibition that examines Washington's contributions as a designer and
planner.  The exhibition will explore this little known aspect of
Washington's life including his practical accomplishments as a
self-trained architect.  The last segment of the exhibition will examine
the Legacy of George Washington. We would like to include a small
montage of photographs of Mount Vernon-inspired architectural
reproductions.  There were full-size repros at the Columbian Expo, the
George Washington Bicentennial in 1932, and the International Colonial
and Overseas Expo in Paris in 1931 (and several others).  We know of
several banks, mausoleums, gardens, private homes, airports, etc.  that
are reproductions or Mount Vernon-inspired architecture.  Sears Home
Construction Division catalog sold floor plans of "The Jefferson", which
was a Mount Vernon reproduction.  I am also trying to locate photographs
of fun or kitsch examples of Mount Vernon look-alikes.  Please contact
me OFF-LIST if you can help in my search for photographs, postcards,
original Sears Home Construction Division Catalogs from 1930s, etc.
Thank you.

Wendy Wiener
Curatorial Assistant
The Octagon, The Museum of the American Architectural Foundation
Washington, DC