From:
Tim Atherton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:24:09 -0600

> What's my point?
>
> I'm hearing America bashing, UK bashing in the
> discussions that followed this thread.  The thread was
> the result of ONE article based in Scotland.
>
> My point was to show that the world has opinions on
> this matter, that looting historically has transpired,
> there is a large volume of incredibly valuable
> artifacts to be protected, the incidences didn't start
> with the Scotch publication (which is making me want
> to drink some right now--Crown Royal please), that
> looting of a nonartifactual basis is now ongoing in
> Iraq by the indigenous peoples, so don't just presume
> it's us, that the war causes huge pissing contents
> among normally civil people, and that one should get a
> well-rounded perspective on this subject and not fly
> off the seat of one's pants trying to attack or defend
> one's flag.
>
> Goodness gracious. I think I'm exasperated by the
> question.

I'm looking through the threads, and I guess I must have missed all the
"America and UK bashing"...? Which was why I asked my question.

And I'm still not sure what your point is.

As I understand it, the point of the original posts was that it would appear
that influential collectors and buyers & sellers of antiquities, with
powerful friends in high places are hoping to use that influence to pursue
their own goals in post-war Iraq, with the blessing of the new
Military/Civil US run administration in that country. A story that has it's
basis in much more than just ONE Scottish newspaper report.

I'm not quite sure what that has to do with "America" bashing, nationalism
or the general looting (of antiquities or anything else) that my take place
in the confusion of a war ridden country?

Tim

(yes, that's my real name...)