From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:54:29 -0500
I agree with your point.  Although I would prefer to be doing something
more directly related to my MA in Museum Studies, which I completed this
past May, I simply could not afford to wait forever for a
registrar/collections management or related position.  After actively
looking for a year, I've taken a job in grant/contract administration.
Although not what I went to school for, I do believe that the experience I
gain in this position will be valuable when I do find a  museum position
that is more related to my long term goals -- after all what museum
couldn't use a person with experience in proposal development and
award administration.  In my opinion, people shouldn't be so limited in the
types of positions they are looking for, at least for a first job.  There are
many other types of jobs that can provide valuable experience for the
aspiring museum worker.

Just my opinion...

Laura Mahoney
Office of Sponsored Projects
Smithsonian Institution

>>> Farar P. Elliott <[log in to unmask]> 11/26/96 09:18am >>>
Concerning recent postings about the lack of jobs (or reasonably paid
ones) in museums....

Every once in a while this thread reappears on the list. While I
understand the frustration of the writers, perhaps other museum
workers are not the people to whom such concerns should be
addressed?  If you are distressed over the matter, why not
(1) look for a job in another field that will give you experience that will
serve you well when you DO find a museum position, and
(2) Organize -- send out a call to agitate for change not to Museum-L, but
to your local, state and federal legislators, corporations and foundations.

Farar Elliott
Director, Women's Rape Crisis Center (for now)
Burlington, Vermont