From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 13:04:15 -0500
Verlag Dr. C. Mueller-Straten wrote:

> Robert T. Handy wrote:
> > Pardon me.  In what way is a tree symbolic of the birth of Christ?
>
> Dear Robert, dear list-ners,
> >Sorry, you did misunderstand, what I said. Not a tree is a symbol of Christ,
> but the real (i.e. living tree) with lit candles (real or not) on it is symbolic
> of Christ.

This lengthy discussion has given rise to an internal examination by
staff of how we can broaden our "holiday" gallery decorating tradition
to include information on origins of holiday symbols and beliefs.  Some
locals think I will get in trouble including a focus on the Solstice but
I think we are going to do it anyway.  Even a Jewish friend cautioned me
about including information on Hannukah (sp).  She felt the local
Christians would be overly critical; even demand my job.
--
Bob Handy, Director
Brazoria County Historical Museum