From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:57:06 -0500
Here's the Dallas Morning News account today....

Mary Kirby

Lack of sprinklers at museum criticized
N. Dallas: System could have limited damage to religious art, experts say

10:29 AM CDT on Thursday, June 30, 2005

By KIMBERLY DURNAN / DallasNews.com

A sprinkler system, rather than a lone man wielding a fire extinguisher,
might have gone a long way toward salvaging the Biblical Arts Center's
precious works from Tuesday's massive fire, experts said.

Among the casualties was the Miracle at Pentecost, a painting considered the
collection's crown jewel.

"Typically in the art community, there is a lot of knowledge of how to
restore a water-damaged artifact, but for something that is ashes, well, all
bets are off," said Nick Artim, who has designed fire protection systems for
the U.S. Capitol, the Supreme Court and the Library of Congress, among other
cultural institutions.

Also Online
En español: Faltó el 'milagro' de los rociadores

Man questioned in Biblical Arts Center blaze
"I would suspect that if this building would have [had a sprinkler system],
it would have been isolated to the room or place, and you would not have had
a six-alarm fire."

About 120 Dallas firefighters spent several hours Tuesday in the North
Dallas museum battling the intense, smoky blaze that destroyed many pieces.
Director Scott Peck said Tuesday that when he saw the gigantic Miracle at
Pentecost beginning to burn, he tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher
until he feared for his safety and fled the building.

Mr. Peck could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Dallas Fire-Rescue officials said the building did not have a sprinkler
system because it was constructed before such a system was required.

Lt. Joel Lavender said some museums distrust sprinklers.

"Museums are worried about them going off and causing water damage or frozen
pipes bursting during the wintertime," Lt. Lavender said. "When talking
about a work of art, when it comes to damages, water damage can be as bad as
fire damage."

But Mr. Artim, also a professional engineer, said water would be the best
way to protect cultural collections from fire. Sprinklers discharge 60 to 80
gallons per minute for 15 to 20 minutes, while a typical fire hose dispenses
150 to 250 gallons per minute - and a six-alarm fire presumably required
several hoses, he said.

"It would do some water damage to the art but it would be less than when
firefighters show up and cascade large volumes of water," he said.

Cost to add

Retrofitting a museum with a sprinkler system probably would cost $250 to
$350 per square foot, Mr. Artim said. But he noted that most donors prefer
to see their names next to artwork and "rarely give money for a set of
pipes" and that museums are reluctant to spend the money.

"It's not one of the more glamorous naming opportunities," said Ruth Ann
Rugg, acting director of Dallas' Sixth Floor Museum.

The Dallas Museum of Art has a sprinkler system, which has never gone off
inadvertently, according to chief financial officer Bob Robertson, who
oversees security. He said some nonpublic areas also are protected by
gas-based fire suppression systems.

At the Amon Carter Museum in Fort Worth, a 2001 expansion and renovation
included improvements to the fire protection system that releases water only
after a temperature-sensing device reaches a certain threshold. The water is
designed to shut off when the equipment determines the fire has been doused,
said Jeff Guy, the director of finance and operation.

"Water on canvas is OK with some limited exposure," he said. "The minimum
thing a museum could do is to install isolated sprinklers."

The museum also trains its employees on fire protocol and provides a
refresher on extinguishers.

Loans in question

Although Mr. Guy was reluctant to criticize the Biblical Arts Center - which
has hosted important works such as fragments of the Dead Sea Scrolls and
lithographs by Marc Chagall - he did say he would not allow the Amon Carter
to loan its works to a museum in a concrete building without windows or a
sprinkler system.

"When we are borrowing or lending artwork, we go through strict requirements
of fire suppression," he said. "Most require a certain level of protection
for insurance reasons."

John Hall, assistant vice president for fire analysis and research at the
National Fire Protection Association, said that between 1999 and 2002, about
60 museum fires were reported annually at a combined loss of about $1
million a year. Faulty electrical equipment, such as wiring, outlets,
switches, light fixtures, plugs and cords, was the main cause.

'Dry' systems

Ms. Rugg, at The Sixth Floor Museum, said she was relieved that a new "dry"
sprinkler system was installed last week at the former Texas School Book
Depository.

"For a short amount of time it dispenses air, so you can get people out of
the way before water comes out. We have the sprinklers in place, strobe
lights and audibles," she said.

Joe Brennan, director of facilities at the San Francisco Museum of Modern
Art, said modern systems that eject air are also useful during malfunctions
because water isn't inadvertently dispensed on the artwork.

"It doesn't let water out until the heat increases," Mr. Brennan said. "The
head of a sprinkler is heat-sensitive to 160 degrees, then a tin solder
melts and the water sprays out."

New technologies are being developed, such as fire suppression gases that
are not harmful to humans and a sprayer that sends water out in a fog or
micro-mist that is less damaging than a direct sprinkler blast, he said.

But protection and display of art are sometimes polar ideals.

"Display people want everything accessible by the public, while
preservationists want everything in a lead vault," Mr. Brennan said. "In the
real world, we come to a compromise."

E-mail [log in to unmask]