From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:57:01 -0500
Adrienne Deangelis wrote:

> The point I've been trying to make is that no one is automatically qualified
> for a professional museum or academic position solely, or even as the last
> qualifier, on the basis of his or her supposed cultural background.

Yes, but given a choice between a person of that cultural background and
one who is not, all else being equal, the person of that culture will
get the job.  You may have wanted to say that nobody should
automatically be DISqualified based on LACK of the desired cultural
background:  that would be discriminatory.  A job description would
NEVER state outright that the successful candidate would be Jewish,
African-American, Latino or whatever.

Do I have to be an artist to curate contemporary art?

Julia Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center