From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 16:25:55 -0500
As one who spends real time with real people in a real museum environment,
I'm just glad sometimes that smaller museums like ours can "just stagger
along."  We can "make do" only because of our volunteers, and they don't
feel at all put upon.  In fact, they love working with a museum so long as
they don't have to deal with the tough questions such as replacing HVAC
equipment, repairing roofs, meeting our payroll, competing for limited
private sector funding.

No offense intended, Mr. Segal, but institutions (museums as well as
universities) consist of people.  The workers and the volunteers ARE the
institutions.

Ross Weeks Jr.