From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:02:05 -0500
Hello!

We were recently given a rare tire cover that has "Have Confidence in Hoover, Re-elect Him" on it.  It is made of painted oil cloth and the paint is flaking and cracking and there is some paint loss on the front.  But....the tire is still in it.  The donor said that if we left it out in the sun on a hot day for awhile, we could get the tire out.  I tried to gently pull the elastic edge and I heard crackling so I stopped immediately.  I have two questions:

1.  How soon do folks think I absolutely need to get the tire out?  Hot November days are rare in Iowa so I guess my next chance to put it in the sun would be May.

2.  Is putting it in the sun the best method, or can anyone think of a better way to soften the rubber, fabric and paint enough to slip it out?

I'll post this to the ConsDist List, too.  Thanks!

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, Iowa  52358

Museum-L" (without the quotes).