From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 12:50:28 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "F.J. Sarre"
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hi,
>I'm looking for some advice from people who are using or thinking of
>using simple name lists or some other form of terminology control for
>documentation, particularly for mixed collections in UK english.

You will find some useful information and references on the MDA's
(Museum Documentation Association) "wordHOARD" pages, at
<http://www.open.gov.uk/mdocassn/wrdhrd1.htm>

and on the CIDOC (Documentation Committee of the International Council
of Museums) page on terminology developments:
<http://www.cidoc.icom.org/stand3t.htm>

>I've looked at the Art & Architecture Thesaurus, but it doesn't cover
>archaeology, or ethnography

the MDA pages give details about Working Groups which are working on
archaeological and ethnographic terminology - you could speak to them to
share ideas and review the current state of development.

>also the Revised Nomenclature, which is also not broad enough & too
>modern in emphasis.

My main reservation about Nomenclature is not its scope but the fact
that it is not structured as a thesaurus (i.e. in accordance with
national and international standards) and that it cannot therefore make
use of the facilities of construction and retrieval software which is
designed for a "proper" thesaurus.

There are several pages of information about thesaurus principles, with
a bibliography and tables of available thesaurus management software, on
our WWW site at <http://www.willpower.demon.co.uk/>

I hope this is of some help. I'd be glad to discuss this area further,
on or off this list.

Leonard Will

--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants                 Tel: +44 181 372 0092

This message was found in a dead-letter box and appears to be for you.
If you have already gotten a copy of this message, we beg your tolerance.

The Unix Systems Group