From:
"V.F. Clare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 09:55:09 +0100
> Just curious, but after re-reading your posting I was wondering if you
> necessarily meant a computer based intereactive tutorial.  Interactive
> means so many things these days.  If you do mean computer based I might be
> able to give you some general advice on developing these things. Also, it
> might be an idea to get several people working on different aspects of
> museum studies and combine them into a larger project.
>
> Peter Wehr

I've had several enquiries about this so am responding to the whole
list.

Yes, the Leicester collection management interactive tutorial
will be a computer interactive (sorry to have been a bit
vague).  The idea is to have it available for students to use to
supplement the taught course, both in Leicester and for distance
learning.  It will be a sort of 'museum simulation' - you can explain
to people for hours about terminology control, etc, but having to
actually try and find something should be much more effective.  It
will also ( I hope) have some sort of self-assessment element.

The idea of combining resources to work in different areas is a very
good one, though obviously there may be problems with compatibility
of systems, and differing audiences.  I'm trying to get an idea of
people/institutions that might want to get involved, though I admit
I'm not sure how it would all fit together!

Victoria Clare
Museum Studies Dept
105 Princess Road East
Leicester University