From:
Ellen Carrlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:55:23 -0900
If that's all you've got to work with, I would advise purchasing the white,
closed cell polyethylene foam often marketed as "Volara", some polyethylene
foam rod often marketed as "Backer Rod", and a hot glue gun.  You should be
able to find these materials locally.  Line your shelves with the Volara cut
to size, and if you stack plates or saucers due to space constraint put
squares of Volara in between to prevent chipping and abrasion.  Anything
that seems tipsy, such as cups with pedistal bottoms call for a ring made of
the Backer Rod/hot glue to protect from tipping over.  You may consider
blocking off the front of the shelves if you are in an earthquake-or
vibration-prone area.  The next step would be to get these pieces in boxes,
using the same materials for padding within the boxes as well as the
open-celled polyethylene foam typically marketed as "Ethafoam".  Make
dividers for pieces in the box in all directions to prevent chipping and
abrasion and label the outside of the boxes well to minimize unnecessary
handling.
Good Luck!

Ellen Carrlee
Curator of Collections and Exhibits