From:
Ware Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:08:47 -0400
SCOTTISH and TEXAN CURIOS

As part of my thesis, I wrote about George Sandeman, a wright from Perth Scotland. Sandeman was a cabinetmaker of great skill, and he produced for the Third Duke of Atholl (now at Blair Castle), a medal cabinet in the form of a temple. If one pulls the beautifully-inlaid pediment forward, a series of slim drawers is revealed, within which the Third Duke could store cameos, intaglios, seals and other tokens obtained on his Grand Tour.

At the McFaddin-Ward House in Beaumont Texas, I recently packed the contents of the vitrine in the parlor (in preparation for Rita), and the range and type of contents is very much in line with other curiosities that the 18th and 19th century Grand Tourist would display - e.g. miniature paintings and a miniature version of Antonio Canova's Cupid and Psyche (1796).

The McFaddin-Ward House has survived Hurricane Rita! I am so relieved.

Let me know if I can help.

Best,
Ware Petznick
Curator of Collections