Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 15:49:08 -0700
>Recently, Sally Baulch asked:

>Does anyone know who holds the copyright to photographs in "The
>North American Indian" by Edward S. Curtis--20 volumes and 20
>folios of portraits and scenes shot at the first of the century.

I think most museums treat these as in the public domain.  I have
seen many, many Curtis reproductions and none have a copyright
statement.  Plus, the original photogravure plates from which the
book was made have been divided up and privately owned (by
various parties - including my own museum, which owns several
dozen of the plates) and have been reprinted endlessly over the past
few decades.

Terence Pitts, Director
Center for Creative Photography
University of Arizona