From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 12:45:43 -0400
In a message dated 96-04-06 20:40:59 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Paul
Apodaca) writes:

>How
>about letting the exhibit speak about the people represented in the
>objects or the processes of nature exemplified in the specimen and
>finding contentment in being associated with great accomplishments in our
>society as represented by the establishment of a publicly accessible
>institution that can bring reflexivity and research to everyone, and
>content our egos to our writings and conferences? The museum does not
>have to be the house of a thousand stars of museology.

Altruistic but naive, IMHO. What about responsibility. Museums are no longer
temples of truth and exhibits are the voice of individuals within the
institution whose interpretive strategy shapes a particular bent to a story.
When I enter an art gallery, I want to know what forces shaped the artist so
that s/he chose to create the particular piece. When I see an exhibit, I want
to know who is responsible for the design, the creative fabrication
interpretation of the curator's story, and who the curator is so I can look
into his or her background to ascertain the purpose of creating the exhibit
in the first place. Etc, etc.

- Adrienne