From:
Francois Mairesse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 11:27:39 +0200
Hello,

I am preparing a PHD dissertation on the evaluation of museums activities.
I would like to explore the different concepts of evaluation related to
museum literature.

According to my knowledge, the introduction of the "evaluation concept"
really started in the '30s, with the different public surveys in the United
States.

I would like to enquire deeper on the other conceptions of "evaluation".

- I found a first reference to the introduction of "economic evaluation" in
the book of Hendon (Analysing a Art Museum), in 1979. Do you know some
earlier publications connected with this topic ?

- The concept of Self-evaluation, as I found it, was introduced by the AAM
in their Accreditation Program. I could only see the second edition of its
program (1978). Was it already introduced when they started (1971)? Do you
know some earlier publications with the evaluation concept connected with
accreditation?

- I found also the concept of evaluation connected with management in an
article of Des Griffin (Museum Management, Journal of Museum Management and
Curatorship, 1987). Do you know some earlier introduction of this topic
related to museum management?

- Do you know some other conceptions of "evaluation" connected to museums
or museology?

Many thanks.

FRANCOIS MAIRESSE
Université Libre de Bruxelles