From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 18:06:51 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Anne Lane
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hi folks - If any of you can give a fellow calligrapher some help, I'd
>appreciate it.  Here is her problem:
>
>>Emerging from the far reaches of cyberspace, I have some questions for
>>anyone who knows about restoration of old documents.
>>
>>I have been asked to restore the lettering on a US Civil War document
>>from 1865. I think this is crazy because it seems like it will invalidate
>>it. Is this not authentic any longer if I trace over it? The owner says
>>she has looked into it and it isn't worth anything other than sentimental
>>value so she says she will do it herself if I don't do it.

It sounds as if she's got little idea of historical value, and just
wants something nice-looking on her wall, for her friends to admire.
I'd suggest that you could do a copy, showing what it originally looked
like, which she can frame together with the original.  You might suggest
that she has a reversable double frame, whereby the copy can be shown to
the light, and the original face the wall most of the time, and be
revealed only to 'special' visitors.
If she still wants you to damage her property, tell her to do it
herself.
--
Pat Reynolds
Keeper of Social History, Buckinghamshire County Museum