From:
Byron Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:45:57 -0500
At 10:13 PM 8/27/97 -0800, you wrote:
>     We at the Anchorage Museum are seeking an interesting way of
>presenting a group of short personal histories.

We are also wrestling with the same issue as we create a master plan for our
facility. At present we are discussing the usual display cases in
conjunction with portraits housing ephemera related to the persons and an
interactive video system allowing persons to delve into incidents and the
times of each person more closely.

Past that, most of what we have developed is an elaboration such as placing
the individuals in thematic or chronological settings, art work,
sounds/music of the times, etc. We have also discussed the idea of
in-gallery first-person museum theater with role players, but in the case of
recent inductees who died in the line of duty this can border on
questionable/bad taste. Another idea is an interactive theater that places
the visitor in the position of having to make decisions at important
junctures in time just as the honorees had to do.

I'll be interested to see what your other responses look like.
Byron Johnson, Director
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum
P.O. Box 2570, Waco, Texas 76702-2570
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

"...Unless a people are educated and enlightened it is idle
to expect the continuance of civil liberty or the capacity
for self-government."
Texas Declaration of Independence,  March 2, 1836.