From:
Kathleen Marie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:49:39 -0800
While I fully agree that job satisfaction can make up
for lower pay, people still need to pay the rent.
This is especially an issue in places like the greater
Boston area where the cost of living is very high.  I
was a tour guide and as much as I loved my work, and
was quite good at it, I could not pay the rent and had
to leave for a less fulfilling job.  I have met
several interns and volunteers that are "doing their
time" to get into the field and meanwhile using credit
cards to eat and pay for their car (something that is
mandatory for many museum jobs), not to mention
sitting on years of student loans.  While workers need
to push harder for higher pay, I also think that
management has a responsibility to give their
employees a living wage.  As it is, they are most
often taking advantage of skilled people with college
degrees and justifying it by saying that in return the
worker is getting "valuable experience".  Again, I
agree that people who want corporate wages and
corporate perks should go get corporate jobs, but I
also think that dedicated museum employees should be
able to expect a living wage.

Kathleen Simone