From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:26:54 -5
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (James Kajpust)
writes:
> Jennifer Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>> how long
>>> visitors spend reading labels in exhibition galleries?
>>>
>>I don't know of any specific studies, but I've heard the
>>figures 6-10 seconds many times.  Pretty unbelievable!
>
> As a museum user, what I'd like to see is a brochure or book that
> could be bought or borrowed that would have more info on the displays
> - sort of a super label. I would like to see more than "Sword - Japan
> ca. 17th century" on a display, but I also know that a lot (most?)
> browsers wouldn't care to read more than that.
>

> Jim Kajpust - Personal Freedoms - Michigan

I have to say that I'm one of the people who don't spend more than 6-10 seconds
reading art museum/gallery labels.  Not so unbelieveable, when all they say is
what Jim put down.  How could one take longer than 6-10 seconds to read so
little information?  Why would one take longer to ponder such a dry and (for
me) meaningless item?  I keep looking at labels to find out *about* the object,
but so often there's nothing there that I can use.  The creator's name, the
date, and a title.  But what *about* the work?  What was the sword used for--
for show?  actual fighting?  what style of fighting?  what kind of people used
the sword?  what was going on in 17th century Japan to warrant having a sword?
did everyone wear them, or were they rare, or restricted to certain kinds of
people?  were they kept home "over the fireplace", or were they worn daily, or
worn for special occasions?  Then, what are those decorations on the scabbard
or handle?  Are they mythological creatures?  Do the represent some attribute?
Are they the whim of the maker?  Were they symbolic of the owner?  Are the
colors meaningful?  What sort of materials went into making the sword?  Is that
tassel of silk?  Is the handle ivory?  Gold?  How was the blade attached to the
handle?   and so on.......  There are just so many things I'd love to know
about it, and none of them are adressed on the label.

I look at a work for awhile, then glance at the label.  It so rarely has any
answers to the questions that I've generated that I just get annoyed and
frustrated, and dismiss the label altogether.  There's no reason, from my point
of view, to waste time on the label.  As a result, even though I am a
museum-oriented person and a person with an inquisitive mind, still I may not
spend more than a few seconds reading the label.

Now, I'm not saying mine is the "right" attitude.  Nor can I claim to know
whether mine is a predominant attitude.  However, it is the way some of us look
at art works, and yes, we don't spend any time reading the labels.  However,
for us, this is the fault of the label, not the viewer.

Robin Panza                     [log in to unmask]
Section of Birds, Carnegie Museum of Natural History