From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:00:44 -0700
We don't have a collection, so we haven't used eBay for acquisitions.
But, we have used it for fundraising, through an auction of art earlier
this year.  As a college, our target audience was alumni, and the
auctioned works were donated by the widow of an esteemed instructor.  We
had the auction up for one week, and netted $17,000.

Rather than simply place the items on eBay and send people there, we
built our own "portal" site, with information about the artists and the
auction event.  From there we linked to the specific pages at eBay where
the items were featured.  It worked so well we're thinking of doing it
again.

You can see the site we built, at http://www.artcenter.edu/dwightsite

Stephen Nowlin