From:
Mark Rosenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 07:38:25 -0400
   Date:         Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:21:42 EDT
   From: Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>

   I can think of a few ways to do this.

   First would be to copy the pages and apply a style to them for big
   fonts.  That wouldn't be too hard to do and with cascading style
   sheets these days, it's pretty easy to make sweeping changes like
   that.  Then you would link make a link to the large print pages.

   The other way I can think of is to put everything in the default
   font and make a note for people to change their browser defaults to
   whatever size they want.  This might be a little more complicated for
   the user but involves less effort on your part.

Mark gets on his soapbox.  I think this is the wrong way to think
about it. It actually takes a good bit more care and testing on the
designer's part to make sure that their pages look good at different
screen sizes, different screen resolutions, and with the visitor
having significant control over the way the page looks. [Or maybe even
having the page run through a text to speech program!] I also think
that informing the user that they can control the size of their fonts
is liberating. I am currently typing into an editor that I've made the
font size larger than standard, and I've instructed my Netscape
browser to ignore the font size on the pages I read and use my larger
fonts. And its been that way for years now.

I an very disappointed in sites that try and countermand my
desires. For instance, the "Sensations" exhibit online description has
the HTML <font size=1>, which makes the fonts (even with my larger default
fonts) very, very small. I couldn't read the page. Nope. Totally
indecipherable. I had to copy it over to my machine, edit out the font
directives that made the page unreadable, and only then could I find
out what the controversy is about. I believe in the future users will
have even more control over the presentations in such matters as
controlling the number of animation cycles of animating gifs. I think
for the most part this is a good thing. I step off my soapbox.

Mark.

   Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).