From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:56:16 -0600
David Haberstich wrote:

>  I'm no lawyer, although that has never stopped me from debating legal
> issues! It seems to me that it is unfair and unethical to expect an
> unpaid volunteer to assume responsibility for safety and security in
> such a situation without a regular, "official" staff member (paid or
> unpaid) on the premises at the same time. Depending upon the
> jurisdiction, I suspect that there might be some real problems of
> legality and liability. --David Haberstich

You have articulated what I think is that "gut" feeling I still have.  I
have talked to our District Attorney and he can't think of any legal
reason not to use volunteers.  They can be fired just like staff.  They
can be prosecuted for theft, just like staff.  If a staff person forgets
to turn something off and the building burns down what more could you do
to that person than you could do to a volunteer?

Yet I still have that feeling that there's something wrong with using a
volunteer in the absence of a professional staff person.  Maybe that's
the stuff ethics comes from.

Thanks
--
Bob Handy, Director