From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:36:15 -0600
Deiah,

A great way to start is to find out what you do know.  Since it was
found at your parent's home, you will also want to question your family
including extended if at all possible to see if anyone is familiar with
this photo album.  Is it a family member's memento or was it left in the
house.  If left, try to find out who lived in the house previously and
see if the family is still in the area.  If so, you may be able to find
someone who is familiar.

You may also want to contact the Allen County Public Library in Allen
County Indiana (one county to the west) which has a very large and
extensive historical library and genealogy section.  In addition, they
have a huge primary/secondary source reference index of local books,
pamphlets, and journals that are often found in few other places.  It
can be referenced by name, subject, and location.  They also have a
great newspaper index, but I don't know if Van Wert's papers are there.

In addition, you will want to contact all the major Ohio University
archival collections, the Ohio Historical Society and any local,
neighboring or regional historical museums, archives or libraries.  This
could be anything from a society group to a book club.

When you start to look at newspapers, you will want to find an index or
a searchable source.  You can "read" through past issues, but it is
still very difficult to find what you need.  You can try the newspaper
archives online (they charge a fee) but they have lots of papers and
this is a lot faster.

This will probably take some work, but it can be a lot of fun.
Good Luck

Tracie Evans
Collections Manager
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum