From:
Tom Kenney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:02:47 -0700
Sarah,

That driver's door should indeed lock from the inside, as Cunningham and
similar coach builders usually adapted the Ford hardware to their door
panels. Cleaning and lubrication of the linkages may allow the mechanism
to lock, or there may be broken components. Fortunately, many of these
parts are available through the aftermarket.

If you send us an image of the car, we can identify the year of the
vehicle and check our library for a parts diagram. Then we can try to
talk you through the disassembly of the door panel (which is fairly
straightforward), allowing access to the mechanism. This depends, of
course, on the condition of the door panel.

I would not recommend securing the handle from the inside, because
visitors can cause additional damage to the door by twisting that
now-secured handle.

We achieved good results in similar situations by posting a small sign
nearby that reads "Yes, this door is locked."

By the way, it was standard practice for most American car manufacturers
to place keyed locks on the curb-side of their vehicles only, because
no-one was expected to get out of their car into the street.

Finally, and I don't mean to sound snarky, but if visitors are able to
climb over a 3'X 2' barrier without being witnessed, your security staff
may want to re-evaluate their procedures.

I hope this helps; please let me know if I can be of further service.

Tom Kenney
Collections Manager/Registrar
Petersen Automotive Museum