From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 19:04:39 -0500
I am a curator with a M.A. in art history, but no certificate or degree in
museum studies, and with varied experience in museums.  I agree with Anne
Farrell that for curatorial work you do need an ACADEMIC advanced degree,
but that one specifically in museum studies is not required.  In large
institutions your academic degree and skills will be more necessary than in
smaller ones, and may even need to be a PhD:  in small institutions, the
M.A. will be listed as required or desired but more important will be your
ability to work closely with people--you will be called upon to wear many
more hats and you cannot afford to involve yourself in academic isolation.
Museum studies degrees instead of academic degrees are more crucial in
smaller institutions where the research opportunities are fewer and farther
between--you will use the general museum knowledge more often.

If you want to advance into museum management, however, I would recommend
formal advanced training in both museum studies and business administration
in addition to an advanced academic degree.  In the current climate, a PhD
in an academic discipline is nice for a director to have, but the
versatility of business training and breadth of technical knowledge derived
from museum studies training is what will stand him/her in better stead in
the long run.

Again, just my opinion...

Julia Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center