From:
Jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:52:30 -0600
I did a little research and below is a review of a 1995 made for television
movie.   Evidently a film was made in 1973, however, I have not been able to
locate any information about it.

I also found a "Mixed-Up Files" page on the Met website.
http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/faq/htm/franken.htm

Lauren Bacall plays the title role (which is actually a supporting role) in
this smart and snappy children's film adapted from the newberry
Award-winning book. As Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, she's a very wealthy
individual auctioning off a statue that may or may not have been sculpted by
Michelangelo. The story quickly shifts over to Claudia (Jean Marie
Barnwell), the middle child of the family. Of the three kids, she's the only
girl, a straight-A student, and the one their mom relies on to help her with
the chores. Claudia feels both taken for granted and neglected, so she
devises a plan for her and her younger brother (who's got some money because
he cheats at cards) to run away and have adventures. Her plan includes
camping out in the Metropolitan Museum, which happens to be the same museum
that bought the enigmatic sculpture. While the family searches for the
missing kids, Claudia becomes obsessed with solving the secret of the
statue. Is it or isn't it a genuine Michelangelo? Like Claudia herself, the
script is smart, and it never condescends. The direction is equally smart,
and the cast is universally good--which is saying something considering
there are so many child actors involved. With messages like "feelings matter
as much as learning" and "if you believe in yourself, then you don't need to
cheat," From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is an excellent
way for a family to spend time together in front of the TV. The story was
previously adapted for film in 1973, but this version was made for
television in 1995. --Andy Spletzer --This text refers to the DVD edition.