Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:37:25 -0800
I agree with both sides. Sometimes jobs are posted only because the
institution has to put the word out, but a person is probably already
selected. However, jobs I have been hired for in the past years were quite
legitimate with long lead times and multiple interviews. Awhile ago I was
searching for a collections manager for a vacant position and advertised in
the usual places with a sufficient response time. Unfortunately, by the
time I had narrowed down the applicants (all unknown) to just a few the
funding for the position had been changed. There were probably nearly 100
applicants for the job, as I recall.

The original question also asked about salary, I think. Many institutions
won't post the wage because it is often negotiable and fluctuates depending
on the chosen candidate. The institution has a wage in mind, of course,
from the beginning. And, as for starting date, that can also be an unknown
factor in the beginning of the process and can depend upon the schedule of
the final candidate selected. But once hired, most places want the person
on board ASAP.

It's a tough world out there, eh? :)