From:
Hodcarry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:56:03 GMT
I have heard rumors of a major shake-up at the center-where the historical
society operates a museum, historic homes, archives, gardens.  It is an
interesting case study, the society has a nice endowment (for a small
historical society) and fairly recently built a slick new exhibit building
filled with progressive, not neccesssarily a positive term, exhibits.
Five or six years ago a new director reorganized the staff in some unique
ways, shifting around responsibilities between departments.

    Partly as a result of poor attendance, I understand the society is in
the hole for operating funds $300,000+ for the year.  Must be an
interesting financial problem, since the endowment's value must have gone
up several million in the same time frame.  Under those conditions where
does the board's responsibility lead it?  Do you sell some of the
endowment to balance the budget?  Especially since the roaring stock
market means the body of the endowment will still be bigger next Jan1 than
it was last?