From:
"Wilson, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:35:06 -0600
The thread on fee /no fee has been really interesting.
David Haberstich wrote:
"I too would bet that the entertainment and amusement park industries have
done studies about raising and lowering prices-in order to arrive at the
optimum fee for the most profit.  But do you really think such studies would
be useful in helping a non-profit museum decide on "free vs. fee"?  If I
recall correctly, that was the original issue."

Does anyone have a bibliography of articles or studies used in the profit
world in setting fees?

Shedd, as with many institutions, relies on a group of revenue sources.  The
mix of income is rather dynamic, especially when viewed in the long term.
1.      Admissions and earned revenue
2.      Funding solicited through the development department, including
government grants, annual appeal, capital fund for expansion, corporations
etc.
3.      Tax support (special levy shared by nine museums located on Chicago
Park District property)
4.      Income from our endowment (rather unusual for a zoo or aquarium).

We have the greatest control of # 1, of course, and have recently raised our
admission price and established a discount for Chicago residents, who
support us through the special tax levy.  I'm tracking the impact (i.e. any
changes in income level of visitors, awareness of resident discount and
other special programs designed to improve access to the museum, patterns of
visitation) but this is all after the fact - prices have already been
raised.

Any help would be appreciated.  I know many of the studies in the for-profit
world are considered proprietary.

Linda Wilson
John G. Shedd Aquarium                 Visitor Studies and Evaluation
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive                 Phone:  312 692 3261
Chicago, IL 60605                              FAX 312 939 8677
            E-mail:  [log in to unmask]