From:
Janet Smoak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:02:17 -0500
Kim,
I am thrilled to see that you are working on documenting Clewell pottery.
The Besser Museum does indeed have about 100 pieces of Clewell.  The former
curator, Robert Haltiner, began collecting Clewell in the early 1970s.  We
have representations, I believe, of all the various patina colors and the
bronze pieces, both "riveted" and "hammered."

We receive requests for information every year, but, other than what Bob
Haltiner was able to learn in the 1970s we have no other information.  A
true understanding of his numbering and mark system would be most valuable
to help date the pieces and identify what pottery the blanks were from.

In fact, we currently have much of the collection on display through April.
It has been over a decade since it has been on exhibit.

Thank you for bringing him to attention.  There have been other potters over
the years who have tried to duplicate his method.  Michigan potter Judd
Tanja is the one I know about, but it might be an interesting correlation to
identify others.

Janet Smoak, Director

Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan
491 Johnson St., Alpena, MI 49707