From:
Rachel Talent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:39:34 -0400
We have electricity back this morning. Our generators worked as hoped for
the environmental and security systems. At this point there does not seem to
be any major damage to the building, but extensive damage to the grounds.
Most staff have not been able to make it here due to extreme gas shortages.
They live at some distance in areas with more severe damage and have very
legitimate concerns about being stranded. As of this morning, Miami Beach is
still under a curfew and a boil water order (if you actually have it - some
coworkers do not). Most of us do not have electricity at our homes and don't
expect to for some time. One staff member just rode his bike 1 1/2 hours to
get here. I have no idea about any of the other institutions.