From:
David Haberstich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 18:13:40 EST
 I think the pyramid story is amusing, albeit somewhat cruel. It reminds
me of the people who come to my office door, which is labelled "Archives
Center" --a misleading title, but we're stuck with it--asking where the
National Archives is located. Frequently I have taken them into our
reference room and pointed out the National Archives through the window.
More than once they have asked, "But can't we get there from here?"
Apparently they think we should have some passageway or skyway between
my museum and the National Archives. Then I've actually had to explain
that they need to exit our museum and walk down the street! On one
occasion, I couldn't resist telling the hapless tourist, "No. You can't
get there from here." But I quickly got a grip on myself, apologized,
and explained how to get there. The thing that interests me about this
phenomenon is that even the ultimate visual aid (reality) sometimes
isn't adequate for some people. I wonder how Adrienne would suggest
museums educate people who are geographically challenged to that degree?
--David Haberstich