From:
Ann Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:13:37 -0500
I've seen 1-2 used as a ratio of public space to support space. This is a
good place to start, but the ratio needs to be re-assessed in terms of the
individual institution. There is no one size fits all solution.  Living
collections need behind-the-scenes spaces for their life support and care,
interactive exhibits need tech shop/s for repair and maintenance, some
institutions have in-house conservation facilities. Some build all their
exhibitions in house and need huge exhibit shops, some build none in house
and need very modest exhibition facilities.  The percentage of the
collections that are on display will have a huge impact on the amount of
collections storage that is required. Some expansion for the collections
should be built in to the plan.

It's tricky, of course, because you're always building for the current
institution and the current institutional  culture, and that can change.
Which is why, as a rule, I'm not a big fan of single purpose space whose
function is so defined by its design that there is no flexibility.  Stewart
Brand wrote a wonderful book about this called How Buildings Learn.

Ann Mintz

ration should be 40% served space (galleries and other public spaces) to
60% servant space (bathrooms, offices, storage, etc.).  Today, I suppose,
that would be a dream world.
> Chuck Watkins
> The Appalachian Cultural Museum
>
> Christy Sinksen wrote:
>
> > Hello listers:
> >
> > I recall that there exists an ideal ratio of gallery to storage space
for
> > museum building planning, but I have had trouble locating this figure in
> > my references and in the list archives.  If anyone has this information
at
> > their fingertips, I would appreciate your sharing it with me.
> >
> > Many thanks for your help,
> > Christy Sinksen
> >
> > Assistant Registrar
> > Georgia Museum of Art
> > University of Georgia
> > 90 Carlton Street
> > Athens, GA  30602-6719
> > (706) 542-3244
> > fax (706) 542-1051

> > Important Subscriber Information:
> >
> > The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

> > If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).