From:
Holly Trimper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 1994 13:04:31 -0400
At the Sheldon Memorial Gallery here on the campus of U of Nebraska - Lincon
students are asked to leave their backpacks in cubbies by the guard's desk.
 As a student, I have no problem with this.  However, sometimes I carry my
powerbook around with me.  I am not about to leave it in a cubby.  When I
explained what was in the case I was carrying the guard STILL refused to let
me keep it with me, at which I collected my backpack and left.  Can't some
sort of happy medium be reached?  I would have showed the computer to the
guard if asked, but I wasn't given that chance.  My powerbook case is 100x
less bulky than a backpack, and there's no way an artwork could be slipped
inside it.

I would think museums with backpack policies would be more nervous about
shoplifting from their gift shops than artifacts.

hly