From:
PATRICIA MCDOUGALL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:54:29 MST
Christine--

Yes, this is a problem that al schedulers face. We also do not charge for
tours, we don't even ask for a deposit for IMAX and Planetarim tickets.  Here
are some of the things that we do, not that it will ever eliminate the
problem, but i have found that it lessens it somewhat:

1.  Part of the responsibility for contacting the school to make sure they are
coming I place on the volunteer Docents assigned to the tour, we call it the
"Star Docent"  This Docent calls the teacher that requested the tour not only
to reconfirm an arrival, but to determine how the tour is fitting in wiht
their lesson.

2.  In no less than three things that we send out,    a) the program brochure
that lists our available programs, b)the confirmation after the program is
booked, and c)an additional sheet of "What makes a successful museum visit"
included with the confirmation and classroom materials. we state that we
cannont accomodate late or oversized groups.  Yes, as we all know, teachers
very rarely read anything that we send them, but thye can't say that they
weren't told.

3..  I have a letter that I sned out to "no-show" groups. It reads a follows:

"This letter is in regard to the scheduled field trip that yor group missed on
<date>.  We would appreciate a call if it is necessary that you cancel or
change your reservation.  There is a phone number to call specifically for
that purpose, which is xxx-xxx-xxxx, it is also printed in the School Programs
Guide under the heading "Changes and Cancellations."  It is also printed on
the confirmation sheet that you received from us up booking your program.  Our
docents work with us on a volunteer basis, and they arrive in the morning
expecially to give your group their scheduled program.  Whenever there are
cancellations, we like to know so that we may offer that time slot to another
school."

Believe it or not, we have had much less of a problem with "no-show" groups.

Good luck.

Patricia McDougall
Tour and Reservations Supervisor
National Air and Space Museum

Christine Dwyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>       MIME Type: multipart/alternative
Colleagues,

We had a large school tour scheduled for this morning, and the group never
showed up, nor did they call to cancel.  In order to accommodate the group,
I had scheduled volunteer docents and paid part-time staff to work extra
hours.  We do not charge admission or for tours, so there is no deposit to
hold.  I confirmed the tour with the contact two weeks ago.  Needless to
say, I am quite aggravated and I'm sure we're not the only museum who has
experienced this.  So, my question is -- do any of you have a letter you
send out to "no shows?"  Would you share it with us?  I want to emphasize
the importance of keeping a tour (or canceling it in a timely manner), but I
also do not want to burn bridges or scare potential museum-goers away...

Christine Dwyer
Stanly County Museum & Historic Preservation Commission
245 East Main Street, Albemarle, NC 28001
Tel: 704/ 986-3777   Fax: 704/ 986-3778

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
message should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1