From:
Amanda Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 15:41:09 -0400
Does anyone know of an institution with written guidelines for its
changing/traveling exhibitions (those coming to the museum from another
institution)?

As an intern at Ellis Island Immigration Museum (National Park Service), I
have been charged with researching and writing Changing(Traveling)
Exhibition Guidelines for the site.

Part of my initial research involves looking for any prototypes for such a
document that may exist or be in development.

For Ellis Island, these written guidelines would in many ways expand upon
the elements covered in exhibition contracts used for changing
exhibitions, but they would take the form of  a more permanent (general)
document designed to establish basic guidelines to be used in developing
individual agreements/exhibitions in cooperation with other
institutions/organizations.

Thematic sections of the document might include some or all of the
following : definition of roles of involved parties at Ellis Island and
any other involved organizations, budgetary guidelines (sources of
funding, liability issues, etc.), restrictions for facility use/special
events, public relations, allowable commercial activity, etc.

If anyone knows of such a document already in place or has
ideas/comments on the topic please contact me on- or off- list. The
docement is scheduled to be completed in early September, and we would be
more than willing to share it with other institutions if there is
interest.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Sincerely,

Amanda Thompson, Museum Services Intern