From:
"HARVEY DAVID ... COLLECTIONS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:24:49 -0400
I have seen all of the traffic on the "asst. Director position" thread this morning after returning from a long weekend out of town.

I would like to reiterate my plea for a measure of civility on this list - perhaps the moderator can make a statement to that effect to all current and new subscribers.

Mr. Herring's comments were out of line for a public forum such as this one.  His remarks would have better served him, and his reputation, if they had been sent privately to the original poster.  He has done no small measure of damage to his name in the museum community by not being conscious of the very public nature of electronic discussion lists.

Many of the responses to Mr. Herring, particularly those "calling him out" , add up to a virtual tar-and-feathering.  To say that Mr. Herrings comments were inappropriate are fine, but to attack him personally and degrade him publicly is also out of bounds.  Such virtupitive comments should be sent to Mr. Herring personally and not posted to the whole list.  It is a mistake to venture to judge someone's entire existence soley on the basis of a single careless and thoughtless comment.

If the larger issues of affirmative action had been raised, as some of the commentary has suggested might be behind Mr. Herrings comments, then that would be a legitimate "issue" for discussion on the list.  But Mr. Herring did not take this tact in his posting.

I would like to make a plea for everyone to take some time to be thoughtful of others and also be mindful of the public nature of this list before they send out their postings.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to turn-the-other-cheek and to ignore the ignorant that sometimes cross our path.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Associate Conservator,