From:
Melissa Wraalstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:24:40 -0500
Hi Erica,

One thing I would definitely recommend you do is develop of scale and
plan for the corporate sponsorships. Make sure you know what you are
willing to provide at each level of sponsorship (how many banners, how
big a brick, how many memberships or free admissions). Be consistent
from one sponsor to the next, and keep the future in mind.  Even at the
amount that you are thinking about, having a plan can really help. It
also lets your institution know what it's obligations are, and lets the
sponsor know what they will be getting (and it's a great way to sell
up!) It lets everyone know how long with signs, banners, etc. will be
up. One year? Two? More?

We've posted signs for sponsors, hung banners or signs saying "This
exhibit presented/sponsored by xyz". We've offered corporate days (free
admission on a specific day, arranged with the company where employees
and families get in free). We've also offered a special employee/sponsor
opening celebration. Acknowledgement on rack cards or in the map,
temporarily, is also a nice thank you. For higher level sponsorships,
we've offered a free facility rental for up to 100 guests (depends on
your institution and policy, of course). We also have a corporate
membership program. Keep in mind, for most corporate sponsorships, they
want to see their name and have their name reach more people. Most also
want to buy public goodwill by partnering with you, and tying your name
to theirs.

And don't forget that some of the larger companies that may have a
chain in your area also have funds set aside to help out local
institutions or may provide in-kind donations.

Good luck!

Melissa

Melissa Wraalstad
Exhibit Developer