From:
Tom Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 15:13:22 -0400
Compassion over the girl's death is not incompatible with consternation over
the circumstances of her death and pessimism over its probably litigious
consequences. Granted, there's not been a lawsuit filed in this case yet,
but I doubt any of us will be surprised to see it happen.

At the risk of being called bitter and cynical, it's a sign of our times
that, no matter what safety precautions are taken and what degree of
rationality is expected of visitors, there will inevitably be someone who
thinks that various principles of physics, gravity and common sense don't
apply to him/herself, and there will inevitably be some lawyer available to
place very expensive blame everywhere except where it actually belongs. Yes,
these are our guests, but is it too much to ask that they behave like guests
without pulling stunts like this?

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086