From:
Donald Roger Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:41:58 -0600
Dear Antony,

Read your post to bit.listserv.museum-1 with great interest. What you
said about a website encouraging travel to Colditz certainly worked
for me. In part because of your fine site I planned and made a 13-day
vacation in Germany built around finally seeing Colditz castle.

Yes, I was (and am) a fan who had read (and still rereads) the many
Colditz escape books as a teen, and have always dreamed of going there.
I joined the Colditz Society thanks to the Colditz: Gateway to Saxony
website, too. I posted to someone in the visitors' book and she res-
ponded with the Colditz Society snail-mail address.

Also majored in German history in grad school and had a German speaking
girlfriend at the time of my visit to Germany, which all helped too. But
it was the website that really helped bring me as a visitor to the castle.

Currently I am back from my trip to Colditz, where I took hundreds of
pictures of the castle to help me to construct a detailed, scale model
of the castle. This is slowly being built. Biggest problem is always
lack of exact vertical dimensions.

By the way, I spent three nights in Colditz town at a zimmer, and had
most of my Colditz pics developed and printed there in town to the tune
of over 135 DM, so I hope that I helped out their economy, too.

Am doing a research project on Colditz castle and town, and Saxony
itself. Desperately seeking an English language book on Augustus the
Strong, if you happen to know of a title, as well as on the Hussite War
razing of the castle in 1430.

Helpfull additions to your website might be a longer list of places to
stay. Where I spent my three nights was not listed. Being able to order
or at least get a list of the books that the Colditz museum has for sale
would be nice.

I would like a copy of the three page WORD document outlining the back-
ground to the Colditz Home Page. It sounds very interesting.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Donald R. Bruce
8312 Morrow Rd. N.E.
Albuquerque, NM 87110-4840