Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:39:20 EST
   SaraCrewe:

   To be more temperate in response to your intemperate screed:  there is
   not particularly a rationality at work here, more "realpolitik" in a
   strange combination with charity (in the old-fashioned sense).

   People with disabilities and their advocates have prevailed upon the
   federal government (using congresspeople's real compassion and their
   desire to appear compassionate) to require that all new structures be
   accessible to people with disabilities.  Is this a terrible law?  I
   don't think anyone would argue that.  Is it perfectly rational? One
   would have to work hard to make that argument.

   Is it something to militate against, and get all worked up about?  I
   can't imagine why you would be so angry about a modest expenditure
   (what did some poster say $2,000?) that would enable a person in a
   wheelchair to open their own door.

   So, why don't you find something really unjust and hurtful to get all
   upset about, and leave the rest of us who have a personal interest in
   helping people with disabilities with our minor victory.

   And, once again, its the law, so do it.

   Eric Siegel