From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2014 14:04:34 -0500
Usually guide dog puppies in training ARE regular dogs.  The volunteer does the usual puppy training - housebreaking, basic dog obedience, socialization skills and gets them acclimated to a lot of different settings.

In my experience they are not yet guide dogs.  After they go through their puppy training with their family, they get tested to see if they would make a good guide dog. Not every dog makes the cut.

There is no legal right in the puppy being at work, there is no real benefit to the puppy either. Have the intern bring the dog in for a special visit with all the staff - that will be enough new environment experience for the puppy.

Cindy Boyer
Director of Public Programs
The Landmark Society of Western New York
133 S. Fitzhugh St.
Rochester NY  14608
(585) 546-7029 ext. 12
Fax:  (585) 546-4788