From:
Heather Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:04:52 -0500
Hello Everyone!

I must commend Doug on his contribution regarding "Paying for College".
His statements hold some excellent messages for us all.

 I started college in 1990, worked on two undergraduate degrees and one
graduate.  I have gone to night school for 6 straight years, full-time.
In a semester (long or short) I take between 12 - 21 hours.  I have
sacrificed relationships, friendships, and vacations for my academic
goals.  I have continually worked in a demanding and full-time capacity,
and, for a couple of years, even worked an additional part-time job in
order to pay for college and still eat healthy.  I found that I was able
to pay for school myself; however, the financial demands caught up with
me physically.  I have taken out student loans (when I began a private
university) and have also received academic scholarships.  Loans are a
great way to fund college.....as long as they are used responsibly.
Some semesters/years financial aid was the only option I had if I wanted
to continue.....then others I could pay for myself.  I found a medium I
could work and live with.

Heather