From:
David Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:02:10 -0400
Dear Bob,
I agree with most of my colleagues in that in order to make Chenhall's
Nomenclature work you must add to the list of terms at times.  Along these
lines we have added these terms under Medical & Psychological T&E: Bottle,
Herb; Box, Herb; Canister, Herb; Box, Medicine; etc.
I disagree with their numbering suggestions however.  The only time you
should use sub-letters is if something is part of something else (e.g. a
salt shaker and a lid, a camera and a lens) or if you have multiples of
identical items (e.g. a set of 10 dinner forks all alike).  The rule of
thumb is that if an object can function on its own and has a separate
object name it gets a number and not a letter.  So- if you have a
stethoscope contained in a doctor's bag- the stethoscope can function on
its own, independent of the bag and it has a separate object name-
therefore it should get its own accession number and not a sub-letter.
Sincerely,
David Ryan
Registrar
Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum